Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Daddy, I want you...

These are the words I hear most often from my son Andrew. These words might seem cute to you and they were to me the first few times, even the first hundred times. The trouble with his statement for me was that it stopped there. Our conversations go something like this:
"Daddy, I want you."
"What do you want?"
"I want you."
"I'm right here, what do you need?"
"Daddy, I want you."
If you're anything like me this type of conversation gets old after awhile. My response to him every time this starts has always been the same, I ask a question he has already answered. I ask him what he wants when he has already told me. He is not asking me a question, he is making a statement.Until today I hadn't figured out just what he was saying when he said "I want you." He wanted ME! Why was this so hard to figure out? The Lord revealed to me today why there is blood in my veins pumped by my heart to all my limbs and organs. Because God wants me. My response to Him has always been the same. God says "Heath, I want you." I say, "Ok Lord, what do you want me to do?" and then I make up some thing in my mind that I think the Lord wants me to do and I go try and do it, either that or I get frustrated because I don't know what He's talking about and quit talking to Him.
Too often we get wrapped up in the action, "If we are the body, why aren't His arms reaching?" that sort of thing. Why often misinterpret the statement God is making to us. "I want you." in our minds becomes "I want you... to do this or that." When God simply starts and ends the conversation with "I want you." Not like Uncle Sam with his striped top hat pointing fingers in our faces but with a still small voice calling us to commune with Him.
My son wants me to know that he loves me and wants to know that I love him too. He wants to be with me and enjoy my company, that is what God wants too. God wants us to completely accept His love, His love that is without condition. If we could just get over ourselves and accept the fact that God truly loves us and wants to be with us regardless of what we have done or how bad we have screwed up, we could truly respond to him and say, "I'm right here. I love you and I want you too."

2 comments:

Kann said...

Amen! I agree!!! Well put!

Sharon said...

Awesome and Amen!!!